Monday 26 January 2015

The Hatching, 2


Heasandford Primary School
22nd January 2015


one of the possible homes of the hatchlings

I’m a trout

(sing the Trout-keepers of Heasandford)

 
alevins

            He’s a trout
I’d better watch out
            He’d better watch out
There are predators about
            So I’ve got to hide now
I’m a trout
            He’s a trout
I’m a trout
            He’s a trout


Chillin’ in my lie
I’m a super cool fry
Watch me swim with a swish
What an awesome fish
 
"what an awesome fish"
The eggs are hatching in their chilled aquarium. Delicately refrigerated, in this first week,
the fry hide in the gravel of their classroom river drawing strength from their yolk-sacs. Soon they will be free-swimming and looking for their first meals by mouth


At Heasandford, Steve Brown and I were writing riversongs and making a folded river that when finished could slip away into a slither of space in a bookshelf but would unfold in a series of pool and rapid, reed and riverbank pop-ups that would stretch across half a classroom


For now, we'll leave you with the song and the first pictures of their folding river.


This link will also (hopefully) take you to a recording of the song. Despite it being my face you see, this work was done by Steve and the children - I'm storyteller, poet and maker for this project. (We've not tried this sort of link before so I hope it works!)

For more information on this project and the wider Ribble River project it is part of, visit the Ribble Rivers Trust

I’m a trout
            He’s a trout
I’d better watch out
            He’d better watch out
There are predators about
            So I’ve got to hide now
I’m a trout
            He’s a trout
I’m a trout
            He’s a trout

With my shiny skin
I’ve got lots of bling
This fingerling
Is one funky thang!



OOOOOAAAAAAYYYE!
I’m trout-tastic!
OOOOOAAAAAAYYYE!
I’m trout-tastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment