Sunday 4 September 2016

Old images, new photographs


Reimaging the Peaks
revisiting the work of the early travellographers

A Knowledge Seeker Workshop for
Collections in the Landscape
Sunday 9th October, 9am – 5pm
in  Cressbrook, Derbyshire, 

Chee Tor
Over the last few hundred years, The Peak District has become a destination of choice for visitors from Edwardian visitors “taking the waters”, through the days of Victorian empire and right up to the present. Early prints of the Peaks promoted the area as “the Alps of England” and revealed craggy peaks, sheer mountain passes and picnics with dairymaids and wandering cows…In this workshop we’ll start with some of those wonderful prints, working onwards and outwards to visit those sites and capture their 21st Century moments with a 21st Century photographic eye

This workshop is one of a series of Knowledge Seeker workshops being organised as part of Buxton Museum and Art Gallery’s Collections in the Landscape (CITL) project. With a grant from the Heritage Lottery, the Museum is changing the way people can access the Collections. As well as physical changes to the Museum itself, collections are going on-line and a series of apps will encourage people to connect places with Museum treasures even when they are out walking in the Peaks


This workshop is free but places are limited and need to be booked. 
Rocks in Middleton Dale

The workshop will be led by Chris Gilbert a Peak district photographer with his own distinctive view of our landscapes. 



More about Chris
 “I am a Landscape and Nature Photographer and I live in a small village called Cressbrook, which is in the middle of the Peak District National Park. When it comes to working with the wonderful landscapes of the Peak District there's nowhere better to be.

For as long as I can remember I have been interested in art and have been a keen photographer for over 30 years. I made the move to being a full-time in 2006 and my focus is now very much on the Peak District. As well as pursuing my own interpretation of the landscape around me I also work closely with the Peak District National Park through the
Peak Photography Gallery in Bakewell.

I feel very strongly that I have developed my own style and approach to Landscape Photography and I bring this into my coaching. In the last few years I've met and worked with a lot of great people and simultaneously introducing them to both photography and the wonderful landscape of the Peak District has been a privilege and a pleasure. Seeing how their work improves after they have worked with me is incredibly satisfying and for me is a great validation of my methods.
In recent years I have featured regularly in the shortlisting stages of national level photography competitions. I was shortlisted for the Take-a-View Landscape Photographer Of The Year award in 2009. In 2012 I had two pictures shortlisted for the National Parks Organisation 'Beautiful Britain' competition and I was also 'Commended' in Take-a-View, featuring in the publication for 2012's competition. In 2015 I was shortlisted for Outdoor Photographer Of The Year. My work has also been published by National Geographic.”
 
Ashwood Dale



No comments:

Post a Comment